Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Time mangement

Okay - I am pleading for help on this one. I am an organized person. I like things clean and picked up. I have had to let some stuff go after having Jadie and I am okay with that. HOWEVER - I cannot figure out how to get all the stuff I need to get done in a day finished. I've used charts,bribes, threats, FHE, stickers, you name it, but there is just not enough time in my day to get kids to school,chores done,laundry,soccer practice, activity day, piano practice,homework, meals prepared ..... you know what I mean. The other day Cherise came over to take pictures of the house to put on the market and the girls room was so trashed that I finally just shoved everything into their closet and closed the doors.

So here is my question- those of you who seem to get everything done- how do you do it? And how do you keep your kids on track? They do have their days where they do get their chores done and all their other stuff finished but I feel like a drill seargent "hustle, hustle, lets go guys" I will settle for getting 3/4 of my list done.

15 comments:

Emily said...

Oh Nicole, do I know how you feel!!
Let me know if you figure it out cause I certainly haven't! It does get a little easier when your kids get older though. If it weren't for my two oldest, I would probably be in a mental hospital:)
I finally broke down and hired someone to come help me once a month. We'll see if it helps.

Gina Lee said...

I cant even get it all done with ONE! I dont know how you do it with 4! Good luck...wish there were words of advise, but I am not that wise yet myself! Let me know if you figure it out?!!

The 5 Nelsons said...

Oh, I can so relate and I have half the kids you do! Honestly, to me you're one of the people that I look to and think, "She's amazing! How does she get it all done?"

The Rollins said...

I don't think anybody gets everything done, it just looks like it. I bet if you opened anyones closet you'd see what was really there. I fake it a lot. Good luck and tell me if you get any good tips.

The Rollins said...

I don't think anyone gets everything done that they want to. I just cleaned my shower and I had been meaning to do it for 2 months. Gross eh! I bet if you opened anyones closests you'd find some great messes. We all fake it.

Steph said...

I agree! No one gets everything done. I am constantly trying to figure out new ways to get my kids to pick up after themselves but not too many things work. We will do well for a few days then something will throw a wrench in our system. I have, however, mastered the homework/piano practice first then play after school. I put a candy jar on top of the piano and they get a "piano treat" after they have practiced. They know when they come home that they can't do anything else until those two things are finished.
To keep all thier school stuff/shoes in one place I have a basket for each kid. I'll post a pic for you on my blog.
Hope that helps a little. Baby steps!

Steph said...

I have some stuff for you posted on my blog. Check it our when you have some time. He he he.

Jen said...

Nicole, Nicole, Nicole...I FAR from have it all "together", but here are a few little things that help me keep the appearance of sanity:

*Homework is done AS SOON AS they walk in the door. I can't deal with the whining and moodiness that rears its ugly head later on in the day. Once HW is done, backpacks get loaded up and put in the front closet so they are ready for the next day.

*Chores are tied in to my kids allowance. If they don't do what is asked, they loose a dollar from their allowance. Usually I only have to remind them once.

*Meals- Don't feel like you have to cook a gormet meal every night. Try bean and cheese quesadillas one night. They take 3 minutes of prep work and are cheap and yummy!

*Laundry is a never ending thing. Think of laudry as a journey...not a destination :)

brandonsbunch said...

Amento everything everyone said. I think your pretending though. I dont think I have ever seen your house a mess. Im always embarrassed when you come over to mine. Just do what Brandon does, if they dont pick it up throw it in a big garbage bag and take it to D.I. He thinks kids have too much now a days. Maybe hes right.

Danielle said...

I just wanted to thank you for the little Marana Moms announcement..that was really cute :O) It was really fun having you and Jared visit last night..thank you so much for coming and for the tasty burritos (definitely better than hospital food)

Love you!

The Gooding Family said...

Nicole, are you moving again? Did I miss something?

You know what is working for us? Get rid of most of their junk!! Seriously, too much stuff is too hard for kids to keep organized and clean. Same with clothes.

We also do homework right after school. If there is work to be done, they do it first and then are allowed to go play.

Nobody's houses are ever perfect. I think we all go through the same battles. I am sure you are doing a good job~ one that is constant and sometimes thankless, but like everything you do Nicole, I am sure you're giving it your best. I know you were looking for organizing ideas, but there you go!

Anonymous said...

This post encouraged me. I get exhausted with the messes and never ending work that piles up around our house. I have no solutions, pretty sad right! But I feel your pain, does that help?

Christina said...

Nicole,
I am totally being honest here. I think this was when I first met you that I went to your sparkling clean house and was in awe at how clean everything was. Especially one of the closets in the kids rooms. Since then every time my kids closets get a little messy I think Nicole can do it so I better get to cleaning. Seriously... No joke. So I thought it was funny that you posted this now what am I going to do when my closets get out of hand?? My philosophy on cleaning is that if you can't see it it's clean so if it has a door or a drawer beware of what's underneath!! So your post made me feel better about my cleaning skills!:)

NewBini said...

N, I would love to come over and help you, once a week or whatever,or drop your laundry off. I am serious. I don't think that people understand, I don't scrapbook, sew or cook, I clean, it's in my DNA and I love to do it. Nay

NewBini said...

N, I would love to come over and help you, once a week or whatever,or drop your laundry off. I am serious. I don't think that people understand, I don't scrapbook, sew or cook, I clean, it's in my DNA and I love to do it. Nay