Monday, February 15, 2010

Mud Pies and Valentines Candy

Why is it that the day I finally got the house clean - including floors- the kids decide that is was a good day to make mud pies and play in mud holes? oh well- makes for a good blogging picture. If you look close at Jadie you can see that she didnt understand that you are are supposed to PRETEND to eat the mud pie! Where were her brother and sisters on that one?!


I always have these great ideas and pictures in head of what I want something to be - for example, during the last meteor shower I had this picture in my mind of me and the kids outside snuggling in blankets, drinking hot chocolate and watching shooting star after shooting star fly across the dark night. Reality: Bailee was the only one that got out of bed and we were shivering under the blanket, were out of hot chocolate - and saw one star  in 20 minutes. Not exactley what I was picturing.  A couple years ago I tried to make these big heart shaped cookies for the kids ( like my mom always made us) and it turned out horrible -burned cookies, runny frosting-  something  Bailee kindly reminded me of yesterday. Again not exactley what I was picturing in my mind.

So this years Valentines idea looked like this in my mind:  A dining table filled with plates of heart shaped pancakes, whip cream and strawberries on top, glasses full of orage juice, bacon and eggs on the side. Next to the plates are cute little valentines bags with little candy hearts and other yummy candies in them. And tied to the back of each chair is a valentine balloon. Oh yea - there is also sun light streaming through the shutters making everything look perfect. The kids would walk out in their pajamas - all at the same time of course and think that I was the greatest mom in the world.  Kind of pathetic, I know.

So here is what Valentines morning really looked like
After a CRAZY week it occured to me that we had early morning church - without  Jared - and there was no way that I was going to make that beautiful picture in my mind a reality without going insane. So at 11:00pm Sat night after a great Valentines date night with some great friends at RA ( a suschi resturant here) Jared and I ran into walmart. The sales lady looked at us in disbelief after we asked where the Valentine candy was saying that she didnt think there was much left - there wasnt- and got a couple cups and some candy to put in them.

And you know what? The kids still thought that Jared and I were great!

We did try to make heart pancakes after church for lunch but they kept sticking to the heart shaped  cookie cutters and didnt look very much like hearts - we did have bacon though!


***Jared and I really did have a great time on our date night and are looking forward to the next one!!!!!***

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh because I am the same way. I have yet to have something turn out like I planned in my head! Oh well it's always good to have a idea of what the perfect scenario would be right?

Melaney said...

LOL!! That was sooo funny. I know what you mean. I wasn't going to go through all that work on Sunday morning either. So we cheated and had Valentines on Saturday. We do that with most of our holidays that end up on Sunday. You are a character Nicole!! :) :)

Gina Lee said...

5 cups? Is there something you are announcing? Haha and it's time to update again! I want to see my cute nieces and nephew!! :)

Carrie said...

Hey there! Do you and Alicia still live in Gladden Farms? And is your hubby also a realtor??? I saw some listings with his name...so I was wondering if it was your hubby!

The 5 Nelsons said...

I think those cups look pretty darn cute! My heartshaped pancake trick is to just make big round ones and cut a heart with a knife. Kinda cheezy, I know, but the boys seem to like them. :-)