Monday, February 16, 2009

Update on foodstorge weeks

SO --- the two weeks that we were asked to live on food storage wasnt too bad. I am a big couponer so we usually have a pretty good stash. But I did make bread and cracked wheat and luckily had 8 gallons of milk in the freezer. However- I did learn that what we would run out of quickly is fresh fruit and vegetables. We have canned and dehydrated fruit so we would be okay but other then canned vegetables we wouldn't have any. So I decided to try another garden when we figure out where we are going to be. We tried last year and it wasnt such a huge success. But I guess practice makes perfect! I am also going to invest in freeze dried milk. It comes from a company called Daily Breads. It comes in white or chocolate, taste good and has a 25 year shelf life. If anyone is interested I can give you the guy's name and number. Thay also have freeze dries foods you can buy. I am also on the emailing list for foodstoragemadeeasy.com where every other week they send out a step in their checklist plan. If anyone is interested in that you can look at in on their website.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Thanks for the tips! I am interested in the freeze dried milk. I have some milk in cans tht was given to me and it tastes terrible. I talked to our food storage consultant and she said milk only has a shelf life of 3-5 years (stored in ideal conditions). I would love to check out milk that has a longer shelf life!